My children used to greet me with cheery and loud “Hi Mama!” when I picked both of them from school. My daughter’s very next statement would inevitably be “What’s for lunch today?”. She still recalls her pleasure when my reply is “Chicken Breasts with Ketchup.” Green vegetables have never been high on her list of favourites. This is another One-dish meal recipe. Both my son and I like green vegetables so a plate of simple stir fry green vegetables (for example Shanghai Cabbage with Oyster Sauce & Garlic) usually formed another part of their meal. Another way to get a better balance of fibre and vitamin C would be to serve a larger portion of fresh fruits.
In those days, a cookbook called “Chinese Cooking for Beginners by Huang Su-Huei” provided several recipes which formed the backbone of my training of my helpers. Quite a number of recipes in that cookbook also suited the taste buds of my ex-pat friends. This recipe was one of the first to hit the right spot with my children.
Peel and slice onion into thin wedges
Cut chicken breast lengthwise into 2 pieces. Then slice each half diagonally into smaller slices.
Cooking wine and cornflour had already been added. Use clean hands to mix chicken and marinade well. Leave for 20 mins.
Pan fry chicken slices on medium high heat till bottom caramelise and the edges whiten. Flip to cook other side. Do not over-cook chicken as it will be added to be cooked with the sauce again.
Chicken has been removed onto a plate. Add onion wedges and fry for 2 to 3 mins to soften slightly. Sprinkle water to prevent burning if necessary.
Pour sauce over onions and continue to heat and cook for about 2 mins. more.
Add cooked chicken breast pieces and continue to cook for a short while till sauce thickens. Should your sauce become too thick, add 1 or 2 Tbps. of water and continue cooking over lower heat. Adjust the sauce to your desired consistency.
Serves: 4 to 5 persons
300 gm skinless + boneless chicken breast or thighs
Marinade (chicken for 20 mins)
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- ½ Tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2/3 Cup peeled and thinly wedged onions
- 2 Tbsp water
- ½ Tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
1. Slice breast into halves and then each half into 3 slices. If using thighs, slice into halves. Marinate chicken pieces.
2. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a wok. Add the chicken pieces and fry about 2 mins or so on each side to just cook the chicken. Lift chicken pieces onto a separate plate. Set aside.
3. Add 1 Tbsp oil into wok. Add the onions for a quick stir fry. In case there is a little burning, sprinkle some water and lower heat. Pour in the sauce and bring to boil. Add the chicken and stir fry to mix all ingredients. Test to ensure chicken are properly cooked. Remove onto a serving platter and serve.
Quick Meal. Accompany this dish with bowl of Chinese Soup, rice and a vegetable dish.
Guests are coming! Some other dishes are listed below. Remind your helper to use those ingredients that are already in the fridge, freezer or larder first.
1. Jin Hua Ham and Winter Melon Soup. Click here.
2. Lotus Root, Peanut and Pork Ribs. Click here.
3. Radishes and Dried Squid. Click here.
4. Pork Stomach with Peppercorn. Click here
5. Tang Ho with Fishballs. Click here
6. Watercress and Red Dates. Click here.
1. Fried Fish with Fermented Black Bean Sauce. Click here.
2. Fish Moolie. Click here.
2. Stuffed You Tiao (Baked). Click here.
3. Dry Assam Seafood. Click here.
4. Prawns in Tomato Sauce. Click here.
1. Beef Rendang (spicy). Click here
2. Singapore Curry Chicken (spicy). Click here.
3. Chicken Adobo. Click here.
1. Broccoli and Meat/Tofu Stir Fry. Click here.
2. Spinach in Broth with 3 types of eggs. Click here.
3. Pork, Spinach and Egg Stir Fry. Click here.
4. Shanghai Cabbage with Oyster Sauce & Garlic. Click here.
Try a little fusion addition with these complimentary Japanese dishes.
1. Chawan Mushi. Click here.
2. Simmered Pumpkin. Click here.
3. Tofu no Shira-ae. Click here.
4. Yawata Maki. Click here
A plate of cold, freshly cut seasonal fruits is always appropriate. Perhaps you had time to make a dessert like one of the several listed below?
1. Almond Jelly + Longans Click here.
2. Coconut Jelly with Can Lychees. Click here.
3. Sweet Potato Dessert Soup. Click here.
4. Sago Pudding. Click here.
5. Orange Agar Agar. Click here.
6. Caramel Custard. Click here.